Saturday 1 January 2011

A score for John Cage's 4'33"?

Julian Oddy, in his letter in today's Guardian, obviously thinks that the printed score to John Cage's composition, 4'33", is a mythical entity - along the lines of skyhooks, long waits and a written British Constitution.

A short time ago you published my letter asking where I could purchase a copy of the British Constitution - sadly to no avail. I should now like to buy the score of John Cage's 4'33". Will I have a better chance?

Julian Oddy

Weymouth, Dorset

Of course he does. Here's my response.

Dear Sir

Why does Julian Oddy think that it is impossible to notate John Cage's 4'33".

I bought my copy of the score [in 3 movements] several years back, along with a copy of it on a T-shirt which I've been wearing proudly over the past few weeks, from his publishers Edition Peters.

Yours faithfully

Paul Bull


Exeter, Devon





No comments: